Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2D Toolkit UI 1.0 Beta 5  (Read 20045 times)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2D Toolkit UI 1.0 Beta 5
« on: May 05, 2013, 02:15:41 am »
IMPORTANT: This version is not guaranteed to be backwards compatible with the alpha release. Most class names have changed. If you have started work with the alpha version, follow the instructions the beta 2 post to upgrade before proceeding.

This version breaks backwards compatibility in some ways with beta 3.
Please read the next post before updating.

Webplayer demo here

Features:
- Light weight code, ultra fast.
- Lots of control prefabs. Use as a basis for customization, or create your own.
Buttons
Checkboxes
Radio Buttons
Textboxes
Lists
Sliders
Progress bars
Scrollbars
Scrolling areas
- Multi touch support, including on screen keyboard on iOS / Android / Windows Phone 8
- Full iOS / Android / Windows Phone 8 / WebPlayer / PC / Mac support. Almost complete Flash support.
- Works in Unity Free & Pro

Bugfixes and improvements:
- clicking on a button in a list and dragging will not click the button when finger is lifted while still on the button
- OnTextChange in UITextInput
- radio button added to list at runtime no works as expected
- setting text of TextInput from code
- fixed cursor anchor when alignment in textinput set to center
- Fixed some Unity 4 warnings
- Works in Flash, apart from text input. This is a known issue with Unity.
- UIDropDown now has a helper to help set up heights.
- Scrollbar, arrow buttons mirror mouse operations - held down for duration of mouse click.
- Esc/tab entering incorrect input on Mac only (known Unity issue).
- Dismiss on screen keyboard by clicking outside the view
- Scrollbar, when dragging thumb, the arrows aren't highlighted.
- UIControlsHelper works when scaled
- Scrollable area depth masks are now sliced sprites (easily scaled)
- Scrollbar "bar" is a sliced sprite.
- tk2dUIItem doesn't require a collider any more, sphere colliders can be set up.
- textinput password option with configureable character.
- fixed bug where clicking on the next textinput (on mobile) will enter text in both.
- scrollable area option to set value without event.
- in scrollable area, when setting content length programatically, if content length < visible length, scrollbar is hidden.
- tk2dUI prefix on all classes (finalized)
- tk2dUITime is now a static class
- scrollable area snapback uses velocity
- click + hold scrollbar arrow to scroll continuously
- now possible to change toggle buttons at runtime
- scrollbar editor widget corrected and shows thumb size
- editor widgets show extended line when being used, easier to position and tweak correctly.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2D Toolkit UI 1.0 Beta 5
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 02:22:59 am »
Backwards compatibility notes.

1. Some file names have changed. tk2dUIScaleButton -> tk2dUITweenItem, tk2dUIBaseButtonControl -> tk2dUIBaseItemControl, tk2dUIDragButton -> tk2dUIDragItem, tk2dUIHoverButton -> tk2dUIHoverItem, tk2dUISoundButton -> tk2dUISoundItem
2. Some files have been deleted. tk2dUIToggleGroupControl.
3. A bunch of variable names have been changed, breaking backwards compatibility - mostly those relating to the renamed classes.

Notes on upgrading.
1. The easiest way to upgrade - Create a new scene, delete the tk2dUI and tk2dUIDemo folders. Import the package in. Goto step 3.
2. Harder way to upgrade - Import Unitypacakge, rename files as shown above, delete the file above. Unity will complain about incorrect filenames anyway, so you should have an idea of what is broken. Goto step 3.
3. Fix up all references in your code and variable names. Depending on what you've used, this could range from nothing at all to a few files.

Apologies for breaking backwards compatibility, but this was necessary to set a few things right.

meta87

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 09:02:53 pm »
Loving the UI Toolkit, already used it successfully for my ludum game. Fast and easy, thanks.

Gustera

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:37:41 am »
Can we publish works with 2D Toolkit UI 1.0 Beta 5?

It will be an upgrade to 2D Toolkit or a separate purchase?

Thx a lot!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 09:41:17 am »
Not officially announced but as most of you have guessed it will be part of 2D Toolkit 2.0.
If you own a license for 2D Toolkit, you can use this in your games :)

armitage1982

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 01:39:55 pm »
Not officially announced but as most of you have guessed it will be part of 2D Toolkit 2.0.
If you own a license for 2D Toolkit, you can use this in your games :)
Nice :)
I jumped on the boat at the right time then  :D

Interesting addition by the way !
I'm already using Ngui for UI but to give you a feature that would make a difference for new corner : Text selection.
I know it's not an easy one, pointless for most games, but it's one of the feature I look at first when I want to decide between one or another GUI libs.

Other than that, I'm very glad to have a nice and handy tool like 2D Toolkit to quickly get started on prototyping.
Thank you :D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 07:38:23 pm by armitage1982 »

x8105

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 07:15:56 pm »
Is there documentation for this?

WingedS

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:11:08 pm »
I assume we use the existing prefabs and drag them into our scene? It works on the tutorial scene, but not on a different scene. Nothing was registering when I tried it. Example - Dragging the BasicButton prefab to the new scene and pressing down the button doesn't perform the up, down scale animation on the new scene nor do anything.

Edit: Found out. On a new scene, you create a empty GameObject and drag the tk2dUIManager script to it, then things will start to work. But still doesn't work on a existing scene using tk2dCamera. Figuring that out atm.

Edit2: The box collider for the button doesn't automatically adjust itself, so that needs to be adjusted correctly.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 09:06:51 pm by WingedS »

x8105

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 04:32:02 am »
I found also that when adding the Text field look out for the FIELD LENGTH setting... threw me for a loop for a couple days.... sigh

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 11:09:18 am »
I found also that when adding the Text field look out for the FIELD LENGTH setting... threw me for a loop for a couple days.... sigh

There is a widget visible on screen when you select the text mesh object which shows you the field length. It obviously needs to know how big the actual text entry part of it is. Not sure if it can be automatic in any way...

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 11:10:04 am »
Is there documentation for this?

Yes there is an included PDF in the distribution.
tk2dUImanual.pdf.

This will eventually be online.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 11:11:41 am »
I assume we use the existing prefabs and drag them into our scene? It works on the tutorial scene, but not on a different scene. Nothing was registering when I tried it. Example - Dragging the BasicButton prefab to the new scene and pressing down the button doesn't perform the up, down scale animation on the new scene nor do anything.

Edit: Found out. On a new scene, you create a empty GameObject and drag the tk2dUIManager script to it, then things will start to work. But still doesn't work on a existing scene using tk2dCamera. Figuring that out atm.

Edit2: The box collider for the button doesn't automatically adjust itself, so that needs to be adjusted correctly.

1. The tk2dUIManager stuff is documented in the PDF documentation included.
Edit: I've added a warning if you start and a tk2dUIManager isn't present.

2. The box collider intentionally doesn't adjust itself, but there will be a "fit collider" button in the next release to sort this out automatically for you.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 11:17:57 am by unikronsoftware »