Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2D Toolkit 2.0 beta 1  (Read 70263 times)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
2D Toolkit 2.0 beta 1
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:34:19 pm »
Please read the migration guide before updating. 2D Toolkit 2.0 is not API compatible.
http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/docs/2.00/migration_guide.html

Documentation available at:
http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/docs/2.00

What's new
  • 2D Toolkit UI
  • Sprite handles - you can resize / move(click and drag) / rotate(alt) sprites using the handles. Turn them off in preferences if you don't like them.
  • Static sprite batcher - supports all sprite types (clipped, tiled, sliced, normal) and text meshes too. Multiple materials & sprite collections supported.
  • Animated sprite deprecated in favour of tk2dSpriteAnimator. Works the same, but lets you animate different sprite types.
  • Text mesh supports inline colors and gradient switching. Click the help button in the text mesh editor for more details.
  • "Sprite from Selected Texture" - use to create a sprite without a sprite collection. Use with care, as each will require one draw call. It's not there for convenience, but rather for backgrounds and render textures that can't be atlased.
  • Loads of API improvements.

Bug fixes and improvements
  • Clipped sprite bounds corrected, now will work correctly on trimmed sprites.
  • Sprite collection polygon collider defaults to front & back collider faces. Was causing a lot of confusion.
  • Creating a sprite will now automatically inherit the layer of the parent.
  • Sprite collection names sorted "naturally"
  • Removed skin assets - the skin is now stored externally in a DLL. Less files in the project, and less likely to break.
  • Sliced sprite legacy mode removed - automatic upgrade should work almost 100% of the time.
  • tk2dUIMask in favour of other masking methods - this is extremely efficient.
  • Default ortho size in sprite collection is now 10, works better with default Unity physics settings.
  • Textmesh data moved to external serializable class. Shouldn't require any changes from user code.
  • Got rid of "Always pixel perfect". Its always more efficient to update the camera to compensate for resolution changes.
  • You can convert between sprite types in the component settings menu - also add or remove animators to a sprite.
  • Moved non-core systems into own directory structures - tk2dUI, and tk2dTileMap.
  • Lots more little bugfixes - please let me know if a bug you've reported isn't fixed.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:55:24 pm by unikronsoftware »

mfcas

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: 2D Toolkit 2.0 beta 1
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 07:57:57 pm »
Some problems, needed to change:

toggleBtns[n] = toggleControls[n].toggleBtn;

to

toggleBtns[n] = toggleControls[n];

I don't really even know if that makes sense.

line 66 in tk2dUIToggleControlGroup.cs

And lots of errors when trying to build with monodevelop, which are alike this one:

TK2DROOT\tk2d\Editor\Tilemap\tk2dTileMapUtility.cs(7,7): Error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'tk2dRuntime' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) (CS0246) (Assembly-CSharp-Editor)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:01:17 pm by mfcas »

DannyB

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Chicks Ahead
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:11:04 pm »
Hey,

This list looks awesome, and I see the UI toolkit is in. Nice.
I am arguing with myself whether I should install this in my soon-to-be-ready-for-appstore game.

Can't wait to see the updated docs, but do you also intend to keep the old ones accessible? Please do if not too much trouble.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 08:17:18 pm »
Some problems, needed to change:

toggleBtns[n] = toggleControls[n].toggleBtn;

to

toggleBtns[n] = toggleControls[n];

I don't really even know if that makes sense.

line 66 in tk2dUIToggleControlGroup.cs

And lots of errors when trying to build with monodevelop, which are alike this one:

TK2DROOT\tk2d\Editor\Tilemap\tk2dTileMapUtility.cs(7,7): Error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'tk2dRuntime' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) (CS0246) (Assembly-CSharp-Editor)

Thanks for pointing that out.

1. Delete tk2dUIToggleControlGroup.cs & the editor - it isn't used any more and functionality has been merged into tk2dUIToggleButtonGroup. Sadly  Unity package upgrades can't delete files, just ever create them... I'll add that to the migration docs.

2. I don't get any errors on a clean installation - likely due to the directory structure change and Unity leaving files in other directories. Please verify that all your tilemap runtime files are in the same directory. Default should be Tk2DROOT/tk2dTileMap/Code.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 08:19:48 pm »
Hey,

This list looks awesome, and I see the UI toolkit is in. Nice.
I am arguing with myself whether I should install this in my soon-to-be-ready-for-appstore game.

Can't wait to see the updated docs, but do you also intend to keep the old ones accessible? Please do if not too much trouble.

I wouldn't put it in a nearly ready game - its a beta after all :)
Maybe if you desperately need some features...

I'll definitely keep the old docs - I just need to get around to making my docs update script upload to the correct directory and have an index of archived versions. But for now heres a permanent url to 1.92 docs: http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/docs/192/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 08:26:08 pm by unikronsoftware »

mfcas

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 08:39:34 pm »
2. I don't get any errors on a clean installation - likely due to the directory structure change and Unity leaving files in other directories. Please verify that all your tilemap runtime files are in the same directory. Default should be Tk2DROOT/tk2dTileMap/Code.

Yeah my bad, some files got changed but their names remained the same, after some name swapping the errors were no more.

DannyB

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Chicks Ahead
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 08:42:14 pm »
Maybe if you desperately need some features...

Need? No, but I love your updates so I desperately want it... :)

Good to know about the docs. I am guessing I am not the only one with Unity code that uses 1.x and would be too risky to migrate.

TekuStudios

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Teku Studios
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 10:52:08 pm »
Nice! Any ideas on when will you add the Anchor Points feature? We are kind of desperate for a solution to that.
We are an Indie videogame developer located in Teruel, Spain. A small 6-people team which is currently working on the upcoming 'Candle'.

DannyB

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Chicks Ahead
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 10:58:42 pm »
Nice! Any ideas on when will you add the Anchor Points feature? We are kind of desperate for a solution to that.

You mean the camera anchors? It is quite easy (in fact, easier) to do on your own, without that camera solution that forces you to parent the anchored objects.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 11:10:40 pm »

The next update will be 2.1 - the big tilemap system update - its nearly done now. I might be able to sneak in the back end for the anchor system in there. The front end code should be quite straightforward.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 11:11:08 pm »

You mean the camera anchors? It is quite easy (in fact, easier) to do on your own, without that camera solution that forces you to parent the anchored objects.

This is for sprite anchors - i.e. being able to mark attach points on sprites, etc.

fsadeq

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 03:47:30 am »
This is a great release, thanks! I've successfully upgraded, though I have a question. You say the new tk2dSpriteAnimator works the same, but you can animate different sprite types. Which types do you mean? Are you saying you can make a sprite animation out of sliced sprites or whatever?

Extant

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 06:25:10 am »
Hello, just upgraded to this new version and the bug as described in http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/forum/index.php/topic,1508.0.html still exists. Possible to get this fixed for the next beta?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 08:51:48 am »
That one is likely fixed on the tilemap branch. I'll see if I can merge it across - I've been trying to avoid that to avoid merge conflicts later, but this looks like it could be easy enough to do without breaking anything.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 10:17:17 pm »
This is a great release, thanks! I've successfully upgraded, though I have a question. You say the new tk2dSpriteAnimator works the same, but you can animate different sprite types. Which types do you mean? Are you saying you can make a sprite animation out of sliced sprites or whatever?

Yes.
Also, since its no longer tied to exactly one sprite, it can now animate a bunch of sprites at a time too if necessary. And there is one sneaky use for this ;)