Hello Guest

Author Topic: Use SPrite Renderer for 2DTK sprites  (Read 4705 times)

Michoko

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Use SPrite Renderer for 2DTK sprites
« on: June 17, 2017, 04:18:23 pm »
Hello,

I'm enjoying 2D Toolkit so far, so thank you for this great asset! However, I may have found a showstopper today. Indeed, I really want to use this asset: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/69765 (SpriteToParticles, which adds very cool particle effects to sprites). Unfortunately, I just realized this asset is not compatible, as it requires a Sprite Renderer. If I have to mix Unity native sprites and 2DTK sprites, using separate atlases, I think I'll lose all the benefits of a centralized solution, and may as well go the Unity route completely.

I strongly believe 2DTK should follow Unity best practices and latest features, so it remains pluggable with other assets of the Unity ecosystem (and I'm sure you share this view). I read a few times that people requested the use of Sprite Renderer in 2DTK, but this feature didn't seem mature enough at this time. Is it, now? Do you have plans to implement anytime soon?

Thank you very much for your reply. :)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Use SPrite Renderer for 2DTK sprites
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 03:07:12 pm »
Hi there,

I have kept looking at sprite renderer in every release from when it was introduced, and it still doesn't have the necessary features to implement what tk2d needs :( I will implement it when it supports it, but until then even if I implement it, it will only support a small subset of features, making it a not particularly great option.

Michoko

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 11:50:30 am »
OK, thank you for your reply. I'll then contact the asset author, and ask him if he'd be interested in supporting 2DTK mesh renderer, as it may be easier the other way around. :)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 02:33:41 pm »
tk2d uses normal meshes (as in unity mesh renderers) so anything that works with them should in theory work.