Hello Guest

Author Topic: NES Style Graphics Recommendation?  (Read 5794 times)

zeteginara

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
NES Style Graphics Recommendation?
« on: February 15, 2018, 05:12:50 am »
I want to make an old school 2D platformer with graphics like that of an NES. I know I'm not doing anything new here, as this has been done before using Unity.

The problem is, suppose I want to make this using multiple devices (Switch, iPhone, Android, 3DS, PC), and each of these devices have different aspect ratios.... but I want the end result to be pixel-perfect no matter the device it is played on.

I know that modern 2D games would utilize high-resolution graphics that get shrunken and filtered, and don't have to be pixel perfect.

How would you recommend going about this using Unity + 2D Toolkit, and do something like what Stardew Valley or Thimbleweed Park do?

I do want to do this right from the ground up.  :)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: NES Style Graphics Recommendation?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 11:54:52 am »
The main question is what do you want to happen when running at a high resolution? Eg. if your pixel art is designed for 320x480, what do you want to happen when running at 1080p - do you want to scale (i.e. each pixel gets doubled / tripled to closest resolution) or just show a ton more stuff on screen...

zeteginara

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2018, 12:55:45 am »
Essentially, something like Shovel Knight.  Where the height of the screen is a constant 240 pixels, and the only thing that really changes is the width.

It would also be cool to know like to know what pixels per unit would be easy to use for this, how I should set the camera and whether I should use scale of each object or not.

I've tried to use scale to make everything bigger, and that seems to kind of work, but the pixels still aren't pixel perfect.  I could tell when I made a mega man like health bar, where the 'bars' of health were one pixel wide, and it didn't show up right; some 'bars' looked bigger than others.

ComputerNerd

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 03:39:01 pm »
Don't scale things. Use an orthographic camera and change its size. https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Camera-orthographicSize.html

Also make sure you are using point filtering on the sprite collection.