Hello Guest

Author Topic: Animated Sprites: how big is too big?  (Read 5162 times)

Dashkin

• 2D Toolkit
  • ex-expert
    • View Profile
    • BiteyCastle
Animated Sprites: how big is too big?
« on: April 05, 2013, 09:39:04 am »
Hi, life-long animator, new game developer here. Love 2DTK and learning it so far has been a breeze, apart from the following.

It seems like I've tweaked every setting, but when trying to commit sprite animation I get the following error (attached screenshot) invariably.

One thing is that I've imported my character at higher resolution, as I plan on zooming closer to him at times during gameplay. So I'm wondering if I'm pushing some limits too hard. I don't know much about how the atlas is generated, or whether simply setting its max size to 4096, enabling multiple atlases or dicing are the right things to do. Regardless, none of them in any combination seems to fix the error though. Any ideas?

Related feature request: I spent almost a whole day setting up polygonal collisions for every frame of every sprite (there is a LOT of animation on my character), so if I may suggest a click-to-add polygon point tool, I think that would make the process much quicker. (yes I have seen 2D ColliderGen, but not sure it's something I would use frequently).
animator - designer - deluded fool
http://bitey.com

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Animated Sprites: how big is too big?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 10:49:13 am »
How big are the sprites in the collection? This looks like one or more of the sprites isn't fitting.

With generating colliders - that is a very good idea indeed. I'll add it to the todo.

Dashkin

• 2D Toolkit
  • ex-expert
    • View Profile
    • BiteyCastle
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:34:28 pm »
The sprites were on average around 600 x 600.

I ended up deleting everything and starting fresh, this time with half of the sprite sizes (avg 300 x 300). I put the max atlas size to 4096 and there were no further errors. As I said, I don't know much about  how it works, but it seems that maybe the atlas generator didn't like the sheer volume of art I was throwing at it.

Thanks for considering the click-to-add-point tool! As a tablet user, it'd be a very quick process to just tap around the outline  ;D

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 01:35:28 pm »
A real big boys tablet? Cintiq?

Dashkin

• 2D Toolkit
  • ex-expert
    • View Profile
    • BiteyCastle
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:38:05 pm »
actually I've never seen a reason to upgrade from my old Intuos 3, 9x12. I have considered a Cintiq, but can't bring myself to justify the cost. Also I'm a dual monitor gamer so there's that too heh