Hello Guest

Author Topic: Sprite Distortion  (Read 4806 times)

guidez

• View Profile
Sprite Distortion
« on: June 28, 2013, 07:33:14 pm »
How come my sprite comes out like this?

The sprite texture is a good size and quality, and thus I lower the Ortho and then scale it down some more afterwards as it's simply too large. In the process of scaling it, the image gets worse and worse! My intended export is iPhone, so how do I retain quality as things get scaled down? The default clouds look lovely scaled up or down, so I am just a bit confused here. (total newb btw)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Sprite Distortion
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 07:35:24 pm »
The clouds have mipmaps turned on. If you turn on mipmaps it will look better, but that isn't a complete solution to the problem - your sprites have harsh edges, and this will look really obvious and blurry when scaled down. You can enable mipmaps in the sprite collection editor settings panel. Give it a go, it might work for you.

guidez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:51:25 pm »
It's fricken' night and day! Wow! Thank you so much!

So what constitutes a "harsh" edge? I mean, the circular head is perfectly a circle, but that counts as a harsh edge? Not an artist or real animator here, just fyi. I am assuming that mipmaps are somewhat cpu/gpu intensive, but it almost seems I'd have to enable it for almost everything, correct?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 10:16:31 pm »
mipmaps don't cost any extra cpu/gpu work, but do cost another 1/3 more memory for textures. If you are fine with that, then there is no other downside to be worried about.