Hello Guest

Author Topic: Approach to 2D scenes?  (Read 4294 times)

LordYabo

• View Profile
Approach to 2D scenes?
« on: July 04, 2013, 08:18:21 pm »
Hi,

I'm coming from another development environment (C++ Marmalade) making mobile games.  I'm trying Unity C# and 2D Toolkit to make a mobile game (ipad, tablets).

It's a 2D point and click adventure game (I know, a dime a dozen).  Each room is generally one screen (1024x768) with various objects and characters your character can interact with (think Monkey Island).  As there are many areas the player can go too, I'm trying to wrap my head around the best way to structure the project and scenes to have good performance on tablets.

The unity Scene.Load/Unload makes a lot of sense for FPS level changes.  But something seems wrong about using that approach per room.  My fear is if I layout my entire map (20-25 rooms) as one scene with the Scene Editor view having all these large textures in memory will be very bad for performance.

So any suggestions or rules of thumb for how to structure a game? 
Lay it all out and move the camera?
Do one room = one scene?
Link up a few rooms together into one scene?
Never move the camera and instantiate/destroy objects as they slide on and off camera?

Thanks for any ideas.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Approach to 2D scenes?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 09:07:02 am »
You really don't want everything in one scene - having scene loads is a perfectly sensible workflow here, and probably what I'd recommend over any other options.

LordYabo

• View Profile
Re: Approach to 2D scenes?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 05:39:37 pm »
OK, I"ll try it today!