Hello Guest

Author Topic: How to go about updating 2D Toolkit?  (Read 6265 times)

Ngapi

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
How to go about updating 2D Toolkit?
« on: July 30, 2013, 04:59:33 pm »
Hi forum!

Simple question here: I've been trying to stay up to date with the current 2DTK releases, and I'm wondering what the best way of updating is? I guess this might be a more general-Unity type question, but figured I'd try asking here. I have 2.1 Beta 3 installed, so what's the best method of updating to 2.1 Final in my current project? Thanks!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to go about updating 2D Toolkit?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 05:38:23 pm »
1. Make a backup of your project (worth doing occasionally anyway), make sure meta files are on before you do that.  (http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/ExternalVersionControlSystemSupport.html)

2. Create a new scene.

3. Import the new tk2d 2.1 final package.

4. If you're using JS, restart Unity, and run SetupforJS again. If not, you can ignore this step.

Ngapi

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 07:44:03 pm »
Worked perfectly, thanks! I had seen those directions for upgrading from 1.x to 2.x, but wasn't sure if they also applied for upgrading minor versions. I assumed you can safely throw away the empty scene you create during the upgrade. That's what I did anyway - doesn't seem to be causing problems. I really appreciate your quick response.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 10:30:07 pm »
The empty scene is only there to avoid a Unity crash due to it updating scripts that are currently being used. From my tests, it crashes a lot less with an empty scene.

The crash isn't fatal either, restartgin Unity after the crash will make it recover.

Ngapi

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 11:42:34 pm »
Ah, got it. Good to know why that step is there. By the way I am really liking the new tilemap editor in 2.1. That feature is making my life so much easier right now  ;D