Hello Guest

Author Topic: Scaled down text mesh looks blurry  (Read 7364 times)

wintermute

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Scaled down text mesh looks blurry
« on: August 29, 2013, 01:59:07 pm »
Hi,

I'm currently developing a game for the iOS. My Unity player has not switched platforms yet so I'm using PC standalone configuration.

The thing is, exporting a 64px font size from Glyph Designer and scaling it down to 50% looks blurrier than a 32px font size exported w/ the same settings. Is there a way to make this match the 32px quality w/o making another tk2dfont (hence not taking up another image w/ file size). I've already set the font texture to Automatic True Color, Filter Mode: Trilinear

I can post images if needed. Ty!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Scaled down text mesh looks blurry
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 11:32:10 am »
If you have it set to trilinear and you have mipmaps on, it will most certainly look blurry. Eg. if you took the image into photoshop and scaled it 50% with bilinear filtering, its going to look blurrier than an image generated at the correct resolution.

The good news is, if you add this to a sprite collection, turn off mipmaps and add a 50% font, it won't take any more memory than having mips on in the first place. Basically, pack both fonts into one sprite collection and make sure mipmaps are off. The tk2d packer tends to pack things a lot better than glyph designer, as it can rotate the glyphs too.

wintermute

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2013, 12:25:41 pm »
But then I won't have gradient options, w/c I'm using for some of my fonts. I think I'll just import another font and try to budget the file size (it isn't that big anyway). Will there be support for gradient options for fonts in a sprite collection in the future?

Another question: I'm using GylphDesigner to add drop shadows to my fonts as well, so I usually use 2 variations of fonts with the same size, one with drop shadow and one without. As far as I know there aren't any features like this in 2d tool kit, any plans of supporting in the future?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2013, 12:35:06 pm »
You can get gradients from sprite collection fonts, just isn't as obvious as it normally is.
http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/forum/index.php/topic,1278.msg6123.html#msg6123

There aren't any plans to support drop shadows natively, but you could easily DIY by creating a copy of the text, tinging it black and putting it in the background...

wintermute

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2013, 12:39:20 pm »
Thanks for the quick response. I'll try those!