Hello Guest

Author Topic: Questions about 2D Toolkit  (Read 4032 times)

xraven13

• View Profile
Questions about 2D Toolkit
« on: September 22, 2013, 09:03:44 am »
Hey !

I am coming from Flixel scene, I made a lot of 2D games using it, but as projects got more complicated I decided it is time I switch to Unity. In game we are making we have combination of 2D and 3D elements.

I started going through video tutorials, they are made really well, and Unity is easier to use then I thought, but I would like to speed up the process, and code faster.
Basically I am looking for a framework that extends Unity, and makes some things more simplified, kinda like Flixel.

For example instead of writing transform.Translate( new Vector3 etc . ) I would like to just write x = 100, y = 50 , z = 30 etc. Same goes for angles and everything else. I also need that this framework supports velocities, mouse position, and stuff like that.

I am wondering is 2D Toolkit adding this functionalities ? 

Also, does 2D Toolkit supports perspective camera because we want that some objects are 3D ( mostly enviroment ), and we also want that 2D objects throw shadows.

Thanks !

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about 2D Toolkit
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 12:14:01 pm »
2D Toolkit doesn't provide functions like .x = 100 and so on, but you can write extension methods to the transform class to do that if you want. Our framework doesn't do velocities, mouse positions - you just use the Unity functions for all that. Again, if you want to make it behave like the framework you're used to - add extension methods to do that.

2D Toolkit works with perspective cameras, but only alpha cutout objects can cast shadows in Unity, its not possible to have transparent objects cast shadows without some hacks. You can combine 2D and 3D objects seamlessly with Unity and 2D Toolkit.