Hello Guest

Author Topic: [Tilemap] 2.5d Perspective?  (Read 5657 times)

rukiri

• View Profile
[Tilemap] 2.5d Perspective?
« on: August 31, 2014, 07:00:44 pm »

Hello, I have a pretty basic question and it involves the camera.  The way 2dTK is set up it displays the camera in a orthographic perspective but I'm looking to change that perspective to the above image.  I could simply use a plane and figure out how to a parallax it "so when you're flying around the map it just repeats itself" but that's no fun and I'd rather take existing game maps and re-use them in a sort of 2.5d perspective "think about the new pokemon games or old school snes overworld maps"

Raycasting is 1 of many possible answers to this question, however raycasting doesn't make sense when using a 3D game engine "considering you can just tile the walls and the floors in the 3d perspective and it'll always turn out better.   I'm trying to get a very smooth transition from 2d to a flat 3d perspective again look at the image for what I'm trying to do.

Anyone have any ideas of how to do this?  Again the easiest way is to just use a plane but I'd actually like to keep the tiles animated and I'm actually trying to replicate Final Fantasy's 6 overworld, but I can't seem to get the camera working properly.

This should be the end result, basically taking the 2d tilemap and displaying it as a 3d plane "as I said earlier trying to avoid using a plane and just handle the perspective with the camera".

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [Tilemap] 2.5d Perspective?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 08:32:00 pm »
Use a perspective camera instead of ortho, rotate it so you get the perspective you want. Should be no more complicated than that.