Hello Guest

Author Topic: infinite scanning loop when create Sprite  (Read 5031 times)

jhocking

• View Profile
infinite scanning loop when create Sprite
« on: September 17, 2014, 06:14:42 pm »
I'm starting to have problems with 2D Toolkit in a project that had been working previously. Basically, it keeps getting stuck on a progress bar that says "Scanning Project" and I end up having to Force Quit. For example, when I try to create a Sprite (ie. choose Sprite from the Assets Create menu) then it just goes to scanning project.

I have installed an updated version of Unity to test with, but I still kept the old version installed too. Specifically, this project was created in and I'm still opening it in Unity 4.2.2, but I recently installed Unity 4.5 in a different location. As part of that process we renamed the old Unity folder from "Unity" to "Unity42" perhaps that's related to this problem?

I realize I don't really have much information to go off of, so there's only a slim chance that this can really be solved, but I'm hoping to maybe get some pointers to troubleshooting steps to try. I did try the "Rebuild Index" option in the 2D Toolkit menu but that didn't fix it; anything else I should pay attention to?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: infinite scanning loop when create Sprite
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 10:27:57 am »
Did you save/share/version control the project without meta files?

If this happens it usually means the data is corrupt. Its either because of the above or some other random unity madness. The latter can usually be fixed with a bit of pain, but lets rule out #1 first.

Its not because of updating Unity.

jhocking

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 04:45:46 pm »
Well that's helpful to know, that this wouldn't be caused by updating Unity.

We use version control for our main project, but what I'm talking about isn't that main project so I'm pretty sure it's not on version control, plus we've been using version control with Unity projects for over a year now so we definitely have .meta files working.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 03:01:22 pm »
If you're confident it isn't a meta file issue, take a look at the -tk2dINdex file. Expand the sprite collections, and see if anything stands out. There might be one or more that are completely corrupt, looking in here should tell you. If everything looks fine, look for the first sprite collection, and identify it in your project. Look at the data object and make sure it looks sensible in the debug inspector.

jhocking

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 06:19:42 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion! I don't have time immediately to check that (other projects keep marching on) but I will check that eventually.