Hello Guest

Author Topic: Best way to create spritesheets, TexturePacker?  (Read 5195 times)

piginhat

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Best way to create spritesheets, TexturePacker?
« on: March 06, 2016, 03:09:37 pm »
***UPDATE***
I note there are older posts re TexturePacker only being able to be used at runtime, has this changed now?
Also if not...how do most folk create sprite sheets?  Do you import all your sprites as single images, say from GIMP and then create a sheet adding them one by one?
Struggling to figure out how to do this....turning left right and centre s would really appreciate some advice...

I have a old copy of TexturePacker from 2013, but see it is now well updated and apparently exports specifically for 2DTK so I have downloaded and tried the free version before upgrading to Pro.

But...using the CharacterSprites supplied from the 2DTK tutorial which are all 63x75 pixels I fail to get them work correctly.

I have selected the target as 2DTK in TexturePacker with a TrimMode of 'none' so the output creates a single image without the sizes being trimmed.

When I then import to Unity, create a sprite collection, add sprite sheet and set w=63 h=75 the sprites do not line up and eventually the borders cross over into the next sprite.

Basically....how can I create sprite images that import and work correctly with 2DTK?

And looking at the .bytes output from TexturePacker which apparently is the coords of the sprites for 2DTK they appear correct...but I do not see how to feed this info/file into 2DTK Sprite Collection editor?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 03:47:31 pm by piginhat »

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to create spritesheets, TexturePacker?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 09:55:07 am »
You don't need to create sprite sheets! You can create them as individual sprite images just fine. One of the things tk2d does is create tightly packed spritesheets at runtime.

Only ever create spritesheets and import if it makes sense for your workflow.

piginhat

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to create spritesheets, TexturePacker?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 12:51:01 pm »
Thanks, can now concentrate on the right path  ;) ;)