Hello Guest

Author Topic: 3d Model and 2D ToolKit?  (Read 4589 times)

jp22

• View Profile
3d Model and 2D ToolKit?
« on: April 01, 2013, 02:37:46 am »
Hi,

I wonder if it's possible to use a 3D model (eg, a space ship) along with 2D ToolKit (the background / everything else).
The 3D model would still only be displayed along the 2D plane. But would allow me to add ambient lighting / rotations, etc to the model, without having to create a lot of sprite images for all rotations, etc. Note that I know that it would be possible to just create a sprite of the model in each rotation, etc. But that's not what I'd want to do right now.

I'd guess that the main issue would be playing nicely with the rest of 2D Toolkit (especially collisions). So, how nicely can 2DToolkit play with the rest of Unity3D? I'm kinda new to Unity (I dip in and out from time to time), so I apologise if this is a dumb question!

Thanks.
J

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 3d Model and 2D ToolKit?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 03:32:01 am »
Easily done. look at demo #6, that mixes a perspective camera + 2d camera + 2d sprites in 3d in the perspective camera. Collisions should work fine.

Charlemagne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 02:15:59 am »
What is demo #6?  I created a beat-em-up where the character can move in 3 dimensions and the environment is composed of 3D models, but all of the characters are planes.  I am considering 2D toolkit and am wondering if demo 6 demonstrates the view I want. 

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 09:58:21 am »
Demo #6 is in the tk2d_demo folder, named "6 - button and 3d sprites". It has a sprite in a perspective camera, in 3D.