Hello Guest

Author Topic: Error Importing 2D Toolkit 2.2.3 into Unity 4.2.2f1  (Read 4519 times)

ofcbilly77

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Error Importing 2D Toolkit 2.2.3 into Unity 4.2.2f1
« on: October 20, 2013, 05:06:42 am »
I am relatively new to Unity and just purchased 2D Toolkit. When I first tried to import it, I got an error window during the import saying "Unity has stopped working". I'm running this in Windows 8. I couldn't tell if this was a problem with Unity or the asset package, so I tried importing each of the main folders (tk2d, tk2dTileMap, tk2dUI) one at a time. The tk2d and tk2dTileMap folders imported without a problem, but the tk2dUI folder crashed Unity like before. The progress gets up to "importing small assets" before crashing.

I've even tried running an earlier version of Unity to make sure it wasn't some compatibility problem; that didn't work either. I don't know if anyone has had this issue. I'm getting pretty frustrated and any help would be greatly appreciated.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Error Importing 2D Toolkit 2.2.3 into Unity 4.2.2f1
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 11:55:29 am »
Hi I just downloaded the latest version from the asset store and tested it - it imports without any issues. The only possible explanation I've got for this is that the download might have been corrupted. Sadly the unitypackage format doesn't exactly handle errors properly. Most of the time, it just crashes.

I suggest registering 2D Toolkit on the forum here and downloading from here. Otherwise you'll have to find and delete the package on your computer (possibly C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store), delete it from there and redownload from the asset store.

ofcbilly77

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 04:08:35 am »
I downloaded the package from here, but unfortunately I'm having the same problem. If I try to import the whole package, it crashes immediately, and if I try in parts it gets to "importing small assets" and crashes. The weird thing is that when I check the current project folder after Unity crashes, all of the package's components are there, but Unity still crashes when I try to reopen it.

Unless Windows 8 has some serious compatibility issues with Unity, I have no idea why this isn't working. This toolkit is exactly what I need for the project I'm working on and I need this to work.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 11:43:50 am »
We use Win8 on our windows machine here, and there doesn't seem to be any issues there. I'm sure there isn't a compatibility issue with Win8. I'm sure there'll be a few other Win8 users here as well.

Is your computer a laptop with dual GPUs? I've heard of crashes when Unity decides to switch GPU, but there isn't much we can do about that from our end - you'll have to force the discreet GPU if thats the case. What about the antivirus or other software you have installed on that machine? What does the Unity log say once its crashed?

If that isn't the case, email support at unikronsoftware.com and I'll send a project with tk2d already imported into it and we'll see how that fares.

ofcbilly77

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 02:26:58 pm »
I have a laptop with dual GPUs. I forced the discrete GPU and the package imported just fine. I can't believe that something like that was the problem. Thank you so much! Clearly, I don't know enough about how Unity works yet.