Hello Guest

Author Topic: Rendering Path  (Read 4209 times)

moofly

Rendering Path
« on: May 05, 2016, 05:12:05 pm »
Hello,

I have a 2D Game that uses 2DToolkit throughout.  The game does not use lights.  Does the selection of the Rendering Path in the Player Settings for iOS have any impact on the performance of the game?

I've also found through the profiler that rendering the transparent sprites is costing 10-20 times the ones that aren't transparent.  In this context, does "transparent sprites" include sprites that have any alpha channel - even the ones where I'm just using the alpha channel to draw only the image and not the whole square sprite. 

I'm presently using the shader BlendVertexColor for everything - is there any more information about which tk2d shaders to use at which time?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rendering Path
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 09:29:00 pm »
Transparent sprites naturally will take considerably longer to render than solid sprites. These are all sprites that use the BlendVertexColor shader. tk2d will trim the sprites, so if you have a lot of empty space it will get trimmed. Also dicing can potentially help if you have a lot of overdraw.

If you have large solid sprites, you should probably use the solid shader instead, it will massively improve performance.

moofly

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 05:14:07 pm »
Thanks.  Does the engine trimming sprites speed it up, or just save space?

Also, the first question: The game does not use lights.  Does the selection of the Rendering Path in the Player Settings for iOS have any impact on the performance of the game?   Or is the rendering path only used by unity's renderer, not yours?

Thanks!  I keep finding amazing features in 2D toolkit I didn't realise existed - amazing!  Great Job!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 10:54:12 pm »
Does the engine trimming sprites speed it up, or just save space?
> Both

Also, the first question: The game does not use lights.  Does the selection of the Rendering Path in the Player Settings for iOS have any impact on the performance of the game?   Or is the rendering path only used by unity's renderer, not yours?
> Use vertex lit, that should work well. Forward will work fine too, as long as you don't have any lights in the scene. We don't have a bespoke renderer.

moofly

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 05:46:54 pm »
Thanks for your answers! :)