Hello Guest

Author Topic: Resolution Overrides/Letter boxing  (Read 5902 times)

bigtunacan

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Resolution Overrides/Letter boxing
« on: July 03, 2012, 06:29:38 am »
I was playing with resolution overrides to get my game to work with the different Android resolutions.  The issue I run into is I would like to allow my game to letter box; so I will set the resolution override and scale such that it fits perfect in one direction, but letterboxes in the other direction.  What happens though is instead of a good letterbox I see my image is based off of the left rather than center of screen, and also I see everything that is being drawn off screen is now drawing to the right of the screen so it looks bad... any advice?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Resolution Overrides/Letter boxing
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 06:23:15 pm »
Hi,

The overrides will be greatly improved in the next version. I just need a few more tests done (in some animation related bugs) before that maintenance release gets released.

In the mean time, I will post the current version in the private support forum. It supports wildcard resolutions, and automatic scaling, resolution fitting and alignment.

tiggus

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 01:18:27 am »
I just downloaded the new version and love the resolution override interface.  Having a issue getting it to "kick in" for my resolutions that I specify though, I'm sure it is something simple.

I put in my native resolution, and if I use the Wildcard default with a scale of 0.5 and fixed x,y of 0 it seems to work for downscaling from 2048x1536 to 1024x768.  If I actually specify Width/height of 1024x768 it doesn't seem to apply the override, ie. I have to use the -1,-1 wildcard.  Not an issue right now but if I want to add a third resolution or support variable then I'm stuck.

Any help much appreciated, I am pretty new to the toolkit as of a few days ago.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:14:08 am »
First I suggest getting the v3 update from here if you haven't already: http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/forum/index.php/topic,473.msg2232/
It adds a scene view preview window.

Did you have the "Force Editor resolution" set? This should be set, and your desired simulated resolution should be set there. Unity does some pretty weird stuff and really tries its best to avoid the user knowing about resolutions and stuff - it often doesn't return the correct resolution values. The force editor resolution tickbox will ensure you'll view what you'll see on device.

tiggus

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 08:52:45 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm not sure exactly what it was but I started over from scratch and regenerated my atlases, tilemap, etc. and it seems to be working now.  Can't tell for the life of me what I changed but all seems perfect now and tested with 3 different resolutions flawlessly.

Thanks!