Hello Guest

Author Topic: Retina resolution camera and backgrounds question  (Read 4053 times)

Guybrush

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Retina resolution camera and backgrounds question
« on: April 10, 2013, 01:16:43 am »
Hi guys.

It's good to be here. I've developed commercial games before (as creative director of a large team) but I'm now just starting out as a solo developer using Unity and now of course The 2D Toolkit to develop iOS/OSX/PC games ...  which I'm very excited about.

Can anyone please provide some insight on setting up the correct 2DTK camera for the Retina (iPad) resolution and a guideline for the background elements?

Is it as simple as setting the camera size to 2048 or am I overlooking something fundamental?

If I have one large background element (e.g. 2048 x 1536) what's the best method for bringing this into Unity?

And a super ignorant question: Where actually is the 'Sprite collection editor'? For the life of me I can't see how I access it!

Cheers guys. I look forward to getting to know some folks around these parts.  :D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:19:36 am by Guybrush »

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Retina resolution camera and backgrounds question
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 01:38:47 am »
Hi Guybrush,

1. There isn't a "correct" setting, but if you want to position things at native resolution, then you'd set up native size in there to the retina iPad resolution, and also force resolution in editor to the same resolution.

2. About the background, drop me an email (support at unikronsoftware dot com) - while you can do this as is, there is a nicer helper component which is part of tk2d 2.0 to help with situations like this. Its still beta, but it works.

You get to the sprite collection editor after creating a sprite collection. A quick walkthrough here:
http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/doc/tutorial/creating_a_sprite_collection.html
There are a lot more walkthroughs and tutorials there.

davedev

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 10:56:12 am »
What's the helper component referenced above. I have the same issue and now that 2.0 is out...

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 11:40:26 am »
Its available from "Create > tk2d > Sprite from Texture". It will let you create full backgrounds without creating sprite collections, etc.