Hello Guest

Author Topic: Dealing with thousands of images  (Read 3470 times)

Konstantin

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Dealing with thousands of images
« on: July 13, 2013, 11:26:14 am »
Hello.

My project uses thousands of images. These images are stored in Assets.
They are combined into SpriteCollections using tk2d editor and then used in SpriteAnimations.

Problem is, Unity3d can not deal with that many files. Asset server and editor get really slow. Worst of all build process crashes with OutOfMemory exception.

Possible solution is to get rid of all images in Assets except for SpriteCollection atlases. What is the recommended way?

I could delete all images from Assets after building the SpriteCollections. Does tk2d support this way?

I could use an external tool like TexturePacker, but there is no way to load it in editor and set up SpriteAnimation. Tiles are not an option, sprites must be trimmed and packed tight.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with thousands of images
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 02:37:07 pm »
The recommended way to deal with this kind of scale is to have one or more separate projects to build your sprite collections. After building the sprite collections, transfer them over to the main project (either with meta files on or via unitypackages) - you will only need the Data folder, and can skip everything else. After importing in the main project, be sure to rebuild the index and you should be good to go.

Konstantin

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: Dealing with thousands of images
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 10:48:17 am »
Works perfectly. Many thanks.