Hello Guest

Author Topic: Collection commit causes Unity Fatal Error out of Ram  (Read 4055 times)

crasnico

• View Profile
Collection commit causes Unity Fatal Error out of Ram
« on: December 20, 2013, 04:30:42 pm »
Hi,
I'm trying to commit a heavy 4096 sprite collection that contains 3131 imgs RGBA. After a lot of tries I found that crash probability diminishes if I add little sprites each time and commit. Still, loading is very slow (up to 15-20 mins) and has crashed Unity 4/5 of the times. I have an iMac quadcore 16 Gb Ram, OSX 10.7.5. In the Activity Monitor I see that Unity uses a maximum of 3 Gb of Memory. Is there a way to better use my 16Gb?

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Collection commit causes Unity Fatal Error out of Ram
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 05:02:49 pm »
You can help this by selecting all your source textures, and convert them to the correct format before adding it to the sprite collection. Add one to the sprite collection, and then use that as reference to configure the rest of them in the same way.

Unity isn't 64 bit, so it isn't going to use very much more than 3GB before it crashes, and its memory management with textures is pretty bad :( Not much you can do until unity release a 64 bit update.

crasnico

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 05:58:11 pm »
thank you for your quick answer. I'm using TGA as source format. Can I ask you what do you mean with "correct format"? thank you

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 08:07:07 pm »
When you select a source texture that has been used in a sprite collection, you will see the format and other settings in the inspector. You want to set up your new textures in the same way.