Hello Guest

Author Topic: Posssible bug: Disappearing objects with multi level parenting  (Read 3853 times)

sugoi

• View Profile
Posssible bug: Disappearing objects with multi level parenting
« on: October 17, 2012, 12:27:15 pm »
Hello. I believe I might have found a bug in 2D Toolkit.
I'm using the latest version (1.8 final) and found that with too many parenting levels in the hierarchy my game objects start disappearing when test running and, after that, are permanently invisible (until a lower level of reparenting is done and the re-run).

Thinking it could be something on Unity's side, I tested with their latest Beta and with built-in objects, to see if the behavior would be the same for the built-ins (for example, the cubes). But the issue apparently only occurs with sprite objects from tdtk. I tried parenting cubes up to 6 levels and had no issues in both Unity 3.5.5, 3.5.6 and the latest beta.

More specifically, once the parenting reaches 4 levels, the objects disappear when test building and are no longer visible in the editor.
I've attached 3 screenshots demonstrating the problem. Notice how the "mesh filter" changes to "none" on its own when the parenting reaches level 4.

Any suggestions?

Best regards.

edit: More descriptive tittle.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:30:09 pm by sugoi »

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Posssible bug: Disappearing objects with multi level parenting
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 06:47:24 pm »
This could be a Unity bug - if you can reproduce it in Unity 3.5X or 4.X I would appreciate a repro case. I just tried it in Unity 3.5.6f4, and I don't seem to be able to reproduce this with a 10 deep hierarchy. Did you also check this on older versions of Unity (I noticed you were using Unity 4 and DX11 in those screenshots)

The reason you wouldn't see this with a built in Unity object is that the meshes there are Assets (as in they actually exist, and each cube is an instance of it) whereas a tk2dSprite is a unique dynamically created mesh.