Hello Guest

Author Topic: Suggestion Tileset: Ctrl+Left click to select appropriate layer  (Read 4904 times)

regnared

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Mah website
Suggestion Tileset: Ctrl+Left click to select appropriate layer
« on: February 24, 2013, 08:36:41 pm »
Here is a suggestion I just had pop-up into my head. Not sure if it is possible, but it could really improve the

workflow.

I've been doing a lot of levels with the Tileset Editor using a Palette layer for a custom palette to quickly grab the

tiles I need (like you suggested to do, which works really well!).  Like this :

Everything works well, except the switch to the right layer to grab the right tile is kind of a little bottleneck. If

the scene is complex enough, it can become more of a drag. You need to keep clicking on the right arrow box to select,

then go back to the right layer. Bit like this [this is a GIF file so might take time to play the animation]

So this got me thinking. Why not do like the Layer system in Photoshop. When you have a very large PSD file, it's really

ideal to just crtl + left click to get the right layer instantly. It basically selects the layer with the top most

Pixel... think it could maybe be done in the editor?

Here's a GIF mockup of how Crtl + left click would speed things up (again can take time to play the animation) :

Crtl + Left click to grab the appropriate layer, and right click to grab the right tile(which we already have) would be

heaven. Hehehe. Hope this could be something that happens. :)

Also, this would be a very quick way to see what is in which tile. Say you have a lot of tiles, instead of doing hide/unhide to all the tiles, which can take long, you can just crtl + left click to quickly see what corresponds to which layer. Just to make the Tileset editor even more awesome. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 08:39:35 pm by regnared »

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestion Tileset: Ctrl+Left click to select appropriate layer
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 10:22:27 pm »
That is a really good idea. I was thinking of making a "palette editor" which would mean brand new code, etc.
But your suggestion is simple, and mega effective, and I can reuse all the code that's already there.

Basically a second tilemap (single layer only) that is only visible when a modifier key is pressed. While the key is pressed, it also puts the mouse cursor in "pickup" mode - most of the time you'll be picking something from it.
Another shortcut key to paint into it.

The origin is also kept close to your cursor, and a way to zoom out to avoid scrolling. Ideally this should fill the entire viewport, and you shouldn't have to scroll at all. Would be even better if it faced the camera...

Thanks for the suggestion, it solves a lot of the outstanding issues I had. I'll look into it after 1.92

regnared

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
    • Mah website
Re: Suggestion Tileset: Ctrl+Left click to select appropriate layer
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 12:33:27 am »
Basically a second tilemap (single layer only) that is only visible when a modifier key is pressed. While the key is pressed, it also puts the mouse cursor in "pickup" mode - most of the time you'll be picking something from it.
Another shortcut key to paint into it.

Wow.. sounds like a really awesome idea. A nice efficient workflow when designing levels. The no scrolling part would really be ideal.

Glad my suggestion might of help out a bit. Can't wait to see it in action.  :)