Hello Guest

Author Topic: Before I purchase I have a few questions  (Read 6302 times)

x0adam0x

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Before I purchase I have a few questions
« on: May 06, 2013, 08:02:27 pm »
I have a few questions regarding the 2D Toolkit and unity in general.
I am a complete noob but am attempting to study Unity, I've subscribed to Digital Tutors and am taking the scripting course at the moment.

With Unity I understand it can be a chore creating a 2D game, but 2D Toolkit is geared towards making it a hell of a lot easier.
Everything I've seen so far has been from a sidescroller perspective, Is it just as easy to create a top down game?
First game I want to take a swing at is an extremely simple bare bones top down 2D RPG.

Nothing crazy, just something simple to build from.

http://i.neoseeker.com/screenshots/R2FtZXMvUEMvUm9sZS1QbGF5aW5nL0ZhbnRhc3k=/wanderlust_rebirth_image_7gEfVjrnapso3ky.jpg

Something along the lines of this ^

I'm primarily focused on 2D Games and have no interest in creating 3D ones, I've always wanted to develop a game but never took the plunge.
I finally figured that I should stop wasting time and learn now, I'm 23 now and if I wait too long I'll never end up doing it.
I guess what I'm wondering is can I create a top down 2D game with Unity, 2DTK & scripting alone?

I know it will be a lot of work but one thing I have is time, Any links to 2DToolkit tutorials or guides would be more than welcome as well.

Thanks for your time.

lazypeon

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: Before I purchase I have a few questions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 10:08:01 pm »
Yes, you definitely can.  2D Toolkit helps improve the 2D 'workflow', and provides some specialized components that make it easy to get to get sprites into your game and into your scene.  It's good at managing sprites, putting together animations, etc...  2D Toolkit doesn't care if your game is side-scrolling, top-down, or whatever. 

That said, the hard part is still going to be scripting and the Unity environment itself.  You need to have a solid grasp of Unity and scripting in general, to get a lot of value out of 2D Toolkit.  If you fully understand Prefabs, components, GameObjects, transforms and how to code, you'll have a great time.  If not, 2D Toolkit won't be of much help.

That said, I don't think I could do 2D in Unity at all, without 2D Toolkit (or a competing 2D package).

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 10:39:43 pm »
As lazypeon says - you most certainly need to learn the basics in Unity first before 2D Toolkit can be of use to you - it is an addon to Unity after all. Once you know the basics though, 2D Toolkit will provide a LOT of tools to get you going.

Some tips on getting started if you decide to get it -
In terms of a top down RPG, you can directly use the tilemap system.
You can also use the Unity Character controller to control your character and it gives you sliding around corners and stuf, but this only works on the XZ plane. Rotate the tilemap to be flat on the ground to do this.
Once you know how to set up the tilemap (including the collider set up in 2D Toolkit) and figure out how to control the character controller, you should be able to get a character moving about.

x0adam0x

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:12:42 pm »
Awesome, Thanks for the quick responses.

Looks like I'll be grabbing 2DTK very soon then.
Like I said in my first post I'm subscribed to digital tutors so after I'm done going through the course hopefully it'll be enough to kick things off.
In the course they teach Java with unity, I'm assuming I can accomplish the same results if I used C# as well?

I don't know any languages so which would be the easier to learn in your guys opinion?

lazypeon

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:42:59 pm »
I use C#, but a lot of people like Javascript as well.  Wasn't aware you could use Java(?) (do you mean Javascript?)

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 11:45:41 pm »
2D Toolkit is written in C#, so if you learnt C# it'll be follow the samples, etc.
Javascript (not Java - thats a completely different language) is very similar though, and concepts learnt in one apply directly to the other language, so you're not losing anything doing it one way or the other.

x0adam0x

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 11:53:37 pm »
2D Toolkit is written in C#, so if you learnt C# it'll be follow the samples, etc.
Javascript (not Java - thats a completely different language) is very similar though, and concepts learnt in one apply directly to the other language, so you're not losing anything doing it one way or the other.

I meant to say Javascript, Do'h

Thanks for the info guys, excited to get deep into Unity, I've had some ideas for games for a long time that I've been really itching to make.
I can already tell the community here is awesome so this won't be the last you see of me ;)