Hello Guest

Author Topic: Getting Started  (Read 5941 times)

johnniez

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Getting Started
« on: July 17, 2013, 08:10:54 pm »
Hi all,
I just purchased the 2D Toolkit and I've looked at the demos. I could use some direction in locating some "getting started" material/tutorials. What I have found on YouTube isn't very much help.

I would like to work toward making a sample game similar to the "Candy Crush" tile/gem game so I can better understand the capabilities and concepts of the toolkit. Then I can hit the ground running on other projects.

Thanks for any help.

Johnnie

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 08:13:21 pm »
Have you looked at the manual?
http://unikronsoftware.com/2dtoolkit/doc/2.00/

There is a bit of a tutorial there on getting you going. A new, bigger tutorial will be going up soon, probably timed with the 2.1 release.

johnniez

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 09:34:34 pm »
Excellent I'll go through this now. Thanks for the quick reply!

johnniez

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 12:51:34 am »
Well I've managed to get the sprite collection, colliders, and such but trying to figure out how to use the tk2dcamera is a major hassle. This documentation is very poor. I'm losing my enthusiasm for this product.

midasmax

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 04:44:41 am »
What exactly about tk2dCamera is causing you problems?

Here is my quick way for working with it:
  - decide on the resolution of your game, be it 480x320, or 960x640, etc. This is your native resolution.
  - make all your assets, calculations, movements, based on this resolution
  - if you want to support a different resolution, make use of the overrides. Everything should *just work*.

Tip: It helps to get a hold of 2D Toolkit 2.1 Beta, it makes the overrides make a lot more sense.

johnniez

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 07:03:47 am »
I'm just going through the documentation. No matter what I do, nothing displays using the tkcamera. I used all the resolutions and example sprites etc. I gave up and started using a normal camera and things seem ok. It was very frustrating.

For several months I've seen and heard so many great things about this plugin but I am surprised at the lack of docs that gets a newbie moving. I expected as much from a free plugin.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 10:18:35 am »
Perhaps this isn't as clear as it should be in the documentation - the sprites are created for the camera they're meant to be displayed on. If you want to use a tk2dCamera, tick "Use t2dCamera" on the sprite collection and Commit. The sprites will then be the right size for that camera. Or if you don't want to modify your sprite collection click "1:1" to get it displaying properly.

It also doesn't help that there's a Unity bug (which was reported about a year ago!) that makes the Unity preview draw some seemingly random things in there. We've worked around this in the next release (2.1), so get that beta and have a go with that - it should be a lot more pleasant to use.

A bunch of stuff is changing in the next release to make it easier to get going, and we've got a whack a mole tutorial done and nearly ready to be published - just waiting on the final bits of the 2.1 docs to publish that now. Hopefully will make it more newbie friendly.