Hello Guest

Author Topic: Not sure if 2D ToolKit will work..?  (Read 4977 times)

Sirpo

• View Profile
Not sure if 2D ToolKit will work..?
« on: September 19, 2013, 06:07:17 am »
Sorry if this is on the wrong board...

Ok, so I'm starting this project, and I've been researching different plugins for unity. I figured I may as well just ask to see if 2D Toolkit would be good for my project.

Basically I'm making a fighting game that uses 2D handrawn animations in a 3D space. Fighting games require the use of multiple actions and animations as well as the detection of what frame you are on to determine attack timing.

So I guess I need these things:

• A plugin that can make 2D objects that work in a 2D space.
  • Some way of detecting what frame the animation is on in code to fire off events
  • The ability to put in somewhat large handrawn sprite sheet into an in-engine animator.

It would also be nice if the plugin can detect lighting and make shading difference accordingly, but that isn't extremely necessary.

I'd like to know what I can do with it before I buy it. I'm sure that's reasonable. Thank you!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure if 2D ToolKit will work..?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 11:13:16 am »
Yeah that should work pretty much out of the box. tk2d can only import regularly spaced spritesheets though. Something like this will import fine: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTINljVJHZuOsDHRchoinEl0CgA0QL8CQb1Yhd4aKV48iC77oZEKw

Lighting can be enabled, but there isn't out of the box normalmap support (yet).  I'm not sure what you mean by multiple actions and animations, but you can play clips, and clips can have one or more triggers set up to fire a callback at a particular frame.

If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Sirpo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 08:09:08 pm »
Whoa I'm sorry. major typo which was super important to working. I needed 2D objects to work in a 3D space. Sorry about that.

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 09:09:32 pm »
Yup, I guessed as much. Works fine - only thing to be concerned about is sorting, but if your 3d world uses solid shaders mostly, that should be a non-issue.

Sirpo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 02:23:41 am »
Alright thanks. It's a fighting game idea we're starting out. I don't think it's gonna be too fancy. But I can work around it as long as I can get stuff on the play field.

Thank you again so much! I'll be buying the plug-in soon.