Hello Guest

Author Topic: Questions about 2D toolkit from someone on the fence  (Read 3786 times)

Quells122

• View Profile
Questions about 2D toolkit from someone on the fence
« on: July 13, 2014, 08:54:15 am »
Hi guys,

I have some questions regarding 2DTK. I've been eyeing it for its tilemap functionality but would like to know if it can suit my purposes before jumping in.

1. Does 2DTK's tilemaps support rotating and flipping tiles? I ask because 2DTK supports importing TMX files, and TMX files support rotation/flipping.

2. Can the tilemaps be generated during run time or are they stored as prefabs?

3. Is it possible to modify the tilemaps during run-time, for example, if the player wanted to mine a tile or use a bomb?

4. Is the tilemap rendering efficient? Is each tile its own gameobject, or is everything rendered to one mesh?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about 2D toolkit from someone on the fence
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 11:54:02 am »
1. Yes they do.
2. The tilemap can't be "created" from scratch at runtime. Well they can but its a real pain, its much easier to create an empty tilemap which you reference and fill out from script.
3. Yup. Keep in mind that building the collision geometry is really expensive - it generates arbitrary edge colliders to match your surface and isn't limited to rectangles. If you want dynamic stuff like that, its probably best to manage collision in a different way, i.e. by maintaining a "skin" of box colliders.
4. Very. The tilemaps are merged into chunks (32x32 tiles by default, configurable). You only get unique gameobjects if you use the prefab spawning system.

Hope that helps :)

Quells122

• View Profile
Re: Questions about 2D toolkit from someone on the fence
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:13:12 pm »
Yes, that helps a ton! Consider me a new customer! Thank you very much!