Hello Guest

Author Topic: Designing graphics for multiple resolutions  (Read 3812 times)

ricke

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Designing graphics for multiple resolutions
« on: May 28, 2016, 01:19:34 am »
Hi there. I'm new to 2D toolkit, and this is more of a general question from a graphic design standpoint.  When you're creating your game, how do you draw your graphics at an appropriate size so that they scale to different resolutions nicely? For example, suppose I'm going to target 16:10 and 16:9 aspect ratio screens.  Obviously, that covers several different screen resolutions. Would you generally develop several different sprite collections at different sizes to meet each of those resolutions? Or would you develop one set of sprites (at the largest resolution size) and let 2D toolkit scale things appropriately?

I'm just trying to get a feel for the number of assets I need to create and at what resolution I should create them at. In general, it's better to downscale large images to small images than to upscale small images to large images as that's where the blurry comes in, correct?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Btw, just bought this today and having spent the last week getting my hands around Unity's 2D, this package has some really great features that make life much easier. Thanks for the awesome work, I'm looking forward to bending it to my will. :D

ricke

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
Re: Designing graphics for multiple resolutions
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 03:17:00 am »
This has the feel of a tumbleweed post...  :)  Perhaps my ramblings are incoherent.  Anyone have any feedback on how you've developed sprites for multiple resolutions in your games using 2D Toolkit? :D

unikronsoftware

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 10:49:49 pm »
Hi there, with platform collections, you should ideally create your assets at both resolutions. However, it will probably be better if you create at a higher res and downscale in Photoshop. For different aspect ratios - I don't know what your game is like, you could potentially just create 1 or two large backgrounds and let them clip.

Upscaling generally doesn't work well so try to avoid that.

ricke

• 2D Toolkit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 03:11:43 pm »
Okay, that's the direction I was leaning, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing a something before putting in the effort to create sets of assets at different resolutions.  Thanks for the help.